strawberry, sliced and sprinkled with
- Butter two 9" round pans with 1/2 tablespoon butter each.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and nutmeg.
- Cut in remaining butter.
- Mix together milk and egg yolks in a small bowl.
- Stir into dry ingredients with a fork till a soft dough forms.
- Pat dough evenly in the two pans (wet fingers, if too sticky).
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Brush surface of dough with egg whites and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks and let cool completely. (Layers will be thin.).
- Arrange on serving plate as cake, cream (whipped with powdered sugar) and strawberries. Repeat the layers to form a beautiful 2 layer shortcake.