946.36 ml whole milk (1 L) or 946.36 ml
enriched rice milk
( 1 L)
78.07 ml demerara sugar (75 mL) or 78.07 ml
evaporated cane juice sugar
( 75 mL)
( 10 mL)
brown basmati rice, rinsed
( 175 mL)
chopped unsalted pistachio nuts
- Works best in a small (3 1/2 quart) slow cooker.
- Lightly greased slow cooker stoneware.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a boil, stirring often. Add sugar and cardamom. Remove from heat and stir in rice. Transfer to prepared slow cooker stoneware.
- Place a tea towel folded in half (so you will have two layers) over top of stoneware to absorb moisture. Cover and cook on High for 3 hours, until rice is tender and pudding is creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl and cool to room temperature. Garnish with pistachios. Serves 8.
- Sprinkling the pudding with a handful of pistachios adds fiber, potassium and vitamin B6, among other nutrients.
- Evaporated cane Juice sugar: Sugar made from evaporated cane juice, such as Sucanat or Rapadura, is a healthier alternative to refined sugar. Although no sugar is a significant source of nutrients, these less processed versions have more nutrients than refined white or brown sugar. Evaporated cane juice retains complex sugars, minerals and molasses, which have some nutritive value. Also, studies suggest it is less likely to cause cavities than refined white sugar.
- The Healthy Slow Cooker, by Judith Finlayson.