Virgin Islands Style Fish
4 1/2 lbs
fish, scaled and gutted
3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons
1 (10 ounce) packages
2 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
yellow cornmeal, ground fine
pepper, to taste
- Place fish with all ingredients into a saucepan and cook gently until fish is cooked, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place frozen okra in boiling water. Cook until just barely tender.
- In a medium size saucepan, bring 2½ cups water to a boil.
- To make fungi that is free of lumps, mix about ¼ cup of the cornmeal with ¾ cup water in a separate small bowl. Then, add this mixture back into the larger pot of boiling water.
- Let cornmeal cook for about a minute, then add the rest of the cornmeal into the pan in a slow steady stream, while stirring constantly.
- Add hot cooked okra to cooked cornmeal. Stir well.
- Then, stir in the butter, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes more.