cabbage, quartered, core removed, and cut into a large 1-inch dice
of medium onion, sliced thinly
fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the cabbage into quarters. Remove any wilted or discolored outer leaves. Cut out the core from the cabbge quarters. Cut into large 1-inch dice.
- Cook the bacon and onion in a 4-quart pan over medium heat until bacon is crisp, and the onion is wilted.
- Remove the bacon and onion to paper towels to drain. There should be about 1/2 cup of bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the cabbage to these drippings and cook without stirring until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water, sugar, salt and pepper and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Crumble the cooked bacon into the cabbage and serve hot.