drained and rinsed canned black beans
( three 19-ounce cans)
4 cups canned low sodium chicken broth or 4 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
fresh ground black pepper
Avocados, preferably Hass, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup
flat leaf parsley
radishes, halved and sliced thin
- Combine 3 cups of the beans and 1 cup of chicken broth in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat, add the sherry, and boil until reduced to approximately 1/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
- Add the bean puree, 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper, and the remaining 3 cups of chicken broth and 3 cups of beans.
- Simmer until hot, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the avocados, cilantro, radishes, lime juice, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Mix gently.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and top with the salsa.
- *If the radishes aren't perfectly crisp, soak them in a bowl of ice water. A few minutes of shock may be just enough to revive them.
- ** With this black-bean soup, a dry amontillado is a natural.