extra virgin olive oil
( If you can't drink it don't use it)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons oregano or 1/2 teaspoon
chopped dried mixed herbs
grated parmesan cheese
( "or" other hard cheese)
Pizza topping of your choice for example
mozzarella cheese or
- Finely slice onions into rings and brown them in a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Once browned, add red wine.
- Add thyme and reduce heat.
- Leave onions to simmer in this mixture for about three quarters of an hour.
- Check from time to time to make sure they're not drying out too much and sticking to the pan.
- Just add a little water to keep them moist.
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- (If watery, strain out water in sieve).
- In a large bowl, mix milk with the egg, flour, nutmeg, cheese and pepper.
- Oil a shallow pan which can be put in the oven.
- Mix the onion and wine mixture with the egg and flour mixture, and the potato.
- Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake in oven at 200C for about 40 minutes, after which time it should have started getting a golden crust.
- At this stage, take it out and add some pizza toppings of your choice.
- And put this back into the hot oven.
- Or you could put it under the grill for a few moments.
- Wine suggestion: Cabernet Sauvignon.