salt and pepper, to taste
mushroom, cleaned and sliced
panko breadcrumbs or
soft breadcrumbs, toasted
- Poach sweetbreads for 20 minutes in water to cover (adding 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar per quart of water).
- Drain and cover with very cold water or chipped ice until firm.
- When firm enough to handle, remove all loose membranes.
- Saute sweetbreads in 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Blend in 1 tablespoon of flour; add salt and pepper to taste and 1 cup of milk.
- Simmer until thickened.
- Saute mushrooms in remaining butter, blend in remaining flour, add sale, pepper and milk.
- When thickened, combine with sweetbread mixture and turn into an oven-proof casserole.
- Cover with toasted bread crumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake in a 400F oven for 5 to 8 minutes.