1 (2 lb)
garlic cloves, minced fine
Italian parsley, minced
grated romano cheese
onion, peeled and quartered
( for frying)
1 (28 ounce) cans
- Using a very sharp knife,"butterfly" the steak (or have the butcher do it).
- Pound the steak with a meat mallet until its about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Spread the minced garlic, minced parsley and cheese evenly over one side of the meat, to within a 1/4 inch of the edges.
- Starting with the long edge, tightly roll the meat up (like for a jelly roll).
- Tie the rolled meat tightly every few inches along the length of the roll, with the cord (make sure the ends of the roll are tied well).
- Heat olive oil in a heavy frying pan, add braciole and onion.
- Fry the meat, turning it frequently until evenly browned.
- Add the browned braciole to the pot of simmering tomato sauce to finish cooking (about 45 minutes).
- To serve, remove the cords and slice the braciole into 1 inch slices.
- Spoon some sauce over the slices.