6 -7 medium
2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans
cream of chicken soup
( or mushroom or celery or whatever you like, I use 1 chicken and 1 mushroom, usually)
1 1/2 cups
cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Wash the potatoes, or peel if you like. We leave the skins on. Slice them thinly, about 1/4 inch thick. Boil for about 5 minutes to soften them, but don't overcook them! They should be soft, but not done.
- While potatoes are cooking, put butter and onion in a large microwave-safe dish and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are soft and slightly translucent. (I use my large Pyrex measuring cup.) Add remaining ingredients, mix well, and microwave 3-4 more minutes until bubbling.
- Layer potatoes and sauce mixture into greased dish, evenly coating potatoes. Top layer should be sauce. Bake for about 45 minutes until the top is browned and bubbly.
- (If you're pressed for time, microwave the casserole for about 10 minutes, then stick it under the broiler to brown the top - my family can't tell the difference!).