Cream cheese layer
cream cheese, at room temperature
egg yolk, at room temperature
5 ounces semisweet chocolate or 5 ounces
eggs, at room temperature
semi-sweet chocolate chips
coarsely chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease a square 8X8-inch pan.
- To make the cream cheese layer, put the cream cheese in a mixer bowl and mix with the paddle attachment until it's smooth.
- Add the rest of the cream cheese layer ingredients, beating well and scraping down and of the batter that dares try to escape up the sides of the bowl.
- To make the brownie layer, melt the butter and the chocolate together until smoothly melted.
- Put aside and let come to room temperature.
- Be patient, it's worth it.
- In a separate bowl from the cream cheese mixture, mix the eggs and the sugar until it's thick and a gorgeous lemon color.
- Add the chocolate mixture and mix well until combined.
- Again, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, vanilla, baking powder, salt and the chocolate chips, mix well until combined.
- Pour half the chocolate mixture into the prepared pan.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture over that.
- Don't worry if it doesn't cover the chocolate. It won't.
- Add the remaining chocolate mixture.
- Take a knife and gently draw it through the batters, from left to right and from top to bottom, making a checkerboard pattern.
- Don't allow the mixtures to combine, be careful.
- Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Bake in the oven until the sides, but not the tops, begin to brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Don't wait until a tester comes out clean, if you do then you have overbaked and basically murdered the brownies.
- Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes, cut into 12 or 16 brownies, cover and refrigerate.