3 1/2 cups
( fresh or frozen)
grated orange peel
1 1/2 cups
1 (9 inch)
pastry for double-crust pie
( large crystals)
- In a large bowl, combine 'barb, raisins, nuts, peel, sugar, juice, tapioca, nutmeg (optional); let stand 30 minutes to get juicy.
- While that is "working" prepare the pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line pie-plate with bottom pastry; pour in filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges; cut five decorative VENT-holes in the top, lay those pieces artfully over the crust.
- Brush top with milk, sprinkle with sugar.
- Cover crust edges with foil strips (prevent burning); bake for 30 minutes, remove foil; bake 5 minutes more (crust should be golden brown, filling bubbly).
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve as is or with whipped or ice cream.