jalapeno chiles, halved, seeded and ribbed
1 1/2 lbs
ripe plum tomatoes, about 8 medium, cored and halved
onion, cut in 1/2-inch wedges
garlic cloves, peeled
vegetable oil, divided
minced fresh cilantro
fresh lime juice
sugar, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil for easier cleanup.
- Mince 1 of the jalapenos and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining jalapenos, tomatoes halves, onion, garlic, tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 2 tablespoons oil, cumin and cayenne. Toss gently to thoroughly mix. Place on the baking sheet, cut sides down where applicable, and roast until the tomatoes are tender and skins begin to shrivel and brown, 35-45 minutes.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- With tongs, transfer roasted onions, garlic and jalapenos to food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about10 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add tomatoes and process until they're chunky - 5-10 seconds more.
- Pour into serving dish and stir in reserved minced jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice. Add salt to taste.
- NB - If your tomatoes are very acidic, add sugar, a little at a time, to mellow the flavor to suit your taste.
- Serve with your favorite chips, over eggs, to make nachos, just with a spoon -- ;-).