sifted all-purpose flour
firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant) or 1 cup
regular rolled oats
( not instant)
semisweet chocolate morsel
1/2 cup walnuts or 1/2 cup
pecans, broken into medium-size pieces
- Position two oven racks to divide the oven into thirds; preheat oven to 350°; line cookie sheets with foil.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a big bowl of an electric mixer cream the butter.
- Add in vanilla and both sugars; beat well.
- Add in egg; beat well.
- On low speed, gradually add the dry ingredients and beat, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula, until incorporated.
- Remove bowl from mixer; stir in oats and then chocolate morsels and nuts (dough will be rather stiff).
- Use a well-rounded teaspoonful of the dough to make each cookie; place the mounds 2 inches apart on the foil.
- Bake for about 18 minutes until the cookies are golden-colored and completely dry.
- During baking reverse the sheets top to bottom and front to back to insure even browning.
- Transfer cookies to racks to cool.