10 -12 ounces
fresh spinach, washed and torn into bit-size pieces
( I use the pre-packaged baby spinach)
minced red onion
( or sugar if desired)
hard-boiled eggs, chopped
hard-boiled egg, sliced
- Place prepared spinach in a large bowl. Add onion. Refrigerate, tightly covered.
- Fry chopped bacon until crisp; remove to paper towel and set aside.
- Allow bacon drippings to cool for 5 minutes or so (until it is no longer sizzling). In the frying pan, combine the drippings with vinegar, Splenda (or sugar), mayonnaise, salt and pepper and blend well.
- You can now refrigerate all ingredients until just before serving, storing the dressing in a covered microwaveable container. OR you can use the dressing right out of the pan and proceed to tossing the salad.
- When ready to serve, microwave the dressing on HIGH for 30 to 45 seconds, or until mixture boils.
- Toss the chopped egg with the spinach salad then pour the hot dressing over greens mixture; toss again lightly.
- Top with sliced egg and crumbled bacon.