golden bell pepper, roughly diced
of your favorite spaghetti sauce
( I use a jar of Classico Italian Sausage & Peppers Pasta Sauce)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
diced tomatoes with green pepper celery and onion
dry red wine
( such as Reggiano Lambrusco, Chianti, Red Rose or Burgundy)
prepared italian meatballs
( fresh or frozen, -or- use crumbled & browned ground beef)
whole wheat spaghetti
( such as De Cecco)
grated parmesan cheese
snipped fresh Italian parsley, to garnish
( or snipped basil or oregano)
- Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the bell peppers, and saute them in the oil until slightly softened (5 to 10 minutes).
- Add spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, red wine, the oregano, basil and garlic. Partially cover pot; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat, partially cover pot and simmer sauce for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile in a separate pot, boil water and prepare noodles al dente; drain.
- Add fresh or frozen meatballs (or browned ground beef) to sauce; cook an additional 10-15 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
- In individual bowls, ladle sauce over hot noodles.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, parsley or oregano) at the table, as desired.
- Great served with a tossed green salad & Mom's Onion Parmesan Bread Mom's Easy Onion-Parmesan Topped Bread, and a nice bottle of red wine!