1 1/2 cups
1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxes
Betty Crocker super moist white cake mix
1 1/4 cups
1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup
packed brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In shallow pan, bake almonds 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown: cool 15 minutes.
- Reserve 1 cup almonds for garnish.
- In food processor, grind remaining almonds until finely ground.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and almond extract with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds.
- Beat on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (Batter will be lumpy.)
- Fold in ground almonds.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low; boil and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes.
- Gradually stir powdered sugar into brown sugar mixture.
- Place saucepan of frosting in bowl of cold water.
- Beat with spoon until smooth and spreadable.
- If frosting becomes too stiff, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Frost a few cupcakes at a time with 1 tablespoon frosting each; press reserved almonds lightly into frosting.
- Store loosely covered at room temperature.