2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs
boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 1/2 tablespoons
fajita seasoning mix
white onion, diced small
green pepper, diced small
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons
dried chipotle peppers
( Fire Roasted Tomatoes works best)
fresh cilantro, coarsly choppped
fresh lime juice
monterey jack cheese, grated
green onion, chopped
tortilla chips, crushd
- Season the chicken with fajita seasoning.
- In a medium stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat, then sauté chicken in batches until brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil and sauté onions, green pepper and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in chipotle flakes and continue cooking for 6-8 minutes on medium-high heat or until onions are lightly browned and limp.
- Return chicken to pot and add chicken stock, followed by tomatoes.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, squeeze lime over top and garnish with avocado, grated Jack cheese, chopped green onions or crushed tortilla chips.