1 (4 -5 lb) rump roast or 1 (4 -5 lb) chuck roast or 1 (4 -5 lb)
onion, peeled and stuck with 2 whole cloves
( 2 inches long)
1 1/2 teaspoons
dried thyme leaves
1 1/2 lbs
carrots, cut in 2- to 3-inch pieces
( about 4-1/2 cups)
parsnip, cut in 2-inch pieces
( 3 cups)
white pearl onion, peeled and ends trimmed
( see Note)
- Rub the roast with 3 T. flour.
- Heat oil in 5- to 6-quart ovenproof Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat until rippling but not smoking. Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add broth, onion with cloves, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer, or place in a preheated 300 degree oven. Cook 2 hours or until almost fork-tender.
- Scatter vegetables around meat. Cover and cook 1-1/2 hours longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat from pot.
- Strain juices from vegetables into a 1-quart saucepan.
- (Can be prepared ahead to this point. Return meat and vegetables to pot. Cover pot and saucepan and refrigerate up to 48 hours.).
- About 1 hour before serving, heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk remaining 1/4 cup flour with the water until smooth.
- Skim and discard fat from reserved vegetable liquid in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then whisk in flour mixture. Boil 2 to 3 minutes, whisking often until gravy has thickened.
- Pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and cook or bake for 45 to 50 minutes until hot (meat thermometer inserted in thickest part should read 130 degrees).
- Remove meat to serving platter. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon and arrange around meat. Pour gravy into gravy boat and serve alongside meat and vegetables.
- Note: To peel onions, place in saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, drain, chill in cold water, then slip off skins.