2 1/2 cups
boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Make the dough first. Mix 2 cups flour with the eggs, salt, and water, then work in enough of the remaining 1/2 cup of flour to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out on lightly floured surface as thin as you can get (usually 1/4 inch).
- Cut into 1 inch squares, and set aside until needed.
- Heat the oil in a deep saute pan and cook chicken breasts until browned on both sides and almost done in the center. Remove from pan and set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking dice your carrots and celery, slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices, and slice the onion very thin.
- After removing the chicken from the pan, add the carrot and celery and saute over med-high heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Slice the chicken and add it back to the pan.
- Add the poultry seasoning and the 9 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add the dough pieces one at a time layering with the potatoes and onions, gently pushing down after everything is in so that it is covered with broth.
- Bring to a simmer and cover and reduce heat. Simmer about 15 mins stirring gently every 5 mins or so.
- Mix the 3 tbsp flour with the 3/4 cup water mashing all the lumps, then stir into the pot. This with slightly thicken the broth to make it more like a stew.