3 1/2 lbs
russet potatoes, peeled & cubed
bacon, thick sliced, diced
gouda cheese, shredded, diveded
chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil potatoes in salted water in large pot over high heat until tender, 12 minutes.
- Drain, return potatoes to the pot, and dry over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, add milk, sour cream, and butter; mash until smooth, cover, and set aside.
- Saute bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Drain on a paper-towel lined plate, then stir into mashed potatoes; season with salt.
- Assemble casserole, spreading half the potatoes in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with 1 cup of gouda, spread with remaining potatoes, then top with remaining cheese.
- Bake until golden, 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chives.