red onions, after peeling and slicing thinly
red wine vinegar
soft brown sugar
- Put the thinly sliced onions into a large heavy bottomed pan that has a tight fitting lid together with the vinegar and simmer until soft.
- Add the spices, salt and ginger and stir.
- Add the sugar and boil steadily until the marmalade is thick and a wooden spoon drawn through the mixture leaves a distinct gap.
- Spoon into hot preserving jars and seal.
- Store in a cool, dark, dry cupboard. Can be used immediately but improves with keeping and will keep well for a year.