2 (12 ounce) jars
( or substitute refrigerated brand grated ginger)
1 (5 -10 lb)
cornstarch, dissolved in water, for thickening
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Glaze: Combine first 6 ingredients in a saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Place ham on rack (or on celery ribs, if you don't have a rack that fits) in shallow pan (I used a covered cast-iron pot with celery ribs to keep the ham off the bottom).
- Score surface of ham, making diamond pattern around the ham, about 1/2 inch deep.
- Spoon half of glaze over the ham.
- Cover and bake at 325°F for approximately 90 minutes.
- Remove drippings from pan and bake an additional 30 minutes (or until temp reaches 140°F), uncovered, basting 1-2 times with remaining glaze.
- Gravy: Skim fat from drippings, and combine with dissolved flour or cornstarch, stirring until thick and smooth.