soft brown sugar, sieved
orange, zest of, finely grated
bicarbonate of soda
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- You will need 2 lightly greased baking sheets.
- In a large saucepan, put in the brown sugar, golden syrup, treacle, all the spices and orange rind with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Bring them to boiling point, stirring all the time.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter cut into cubes, and the bicarbonate of soda.
- Next stir in the flour gradually until you have a smooth manageable dough – add a little more flour, if you think it needs it.
- Leave the dough covered, in a cool place to become firm, approximately 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick and cut out the gingerbread men.
- Arrange them on the lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the biscuits feel firm when lightly pressed with a fingertip.
- Leave the biscuits to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
- Once cool, store in an airtight container.