eggplant, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
red bell pepper, roasted and cut into wide strips
yellow bell pepper, roasted and cut into wide strips
fennel bulb, cut lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices
extra virgin olive oil, to taste
garlic cloves, sliced thin
fresh parsley, minced
black olives, diced and pitted
white wine vinegar
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500°F
- Arrange vegetables on a baking sheet and brush both sides.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and roast for 7 to 8 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- When vegetables are cool enough to handle begin layering using a springform pan that has a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom.
- Place eggplant in the bottom of the dish, drizzle with some olive oil, and add some of the garlic.
- Add some of the fresh herbs, and then some olives.
- Sprinkle a little vinegar on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to layer vegetables, along with seasonings, adding the peppers next, and then fennel, and finally the zucchini.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Release pan and use the parchment to carefully slide onto a serving platter.