1/2 teaspoon orange extract or 1/2 teaspoon
1 1/2 teaspoons
- Thoroughly cream the SOFTENED butter and the sugar, orange extract, and vanilla.
- NOTE: I prefer orange extract over the zest because I think it has a stronger flavor. Although zesting an orange is probably cheaper.
- Add egg; beat until fluffy, stir in the milk.
- sift the dry ingredients. (The flour, baking powder and salt.).
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and blend well.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- After an hour or the next day, on a floured surface, roll half of the dough to 1/8 inch thick. (keep the remaining dough chilled until you are ready to roll it.).
- Cut into shapes and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- at this point you can decorate them with candy, raisins, nuts and colored sugars if you want.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Cool slightly and remove them from the pan.