white bread, slices 1 inch thick
2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons
4 tablespoons strawberry jam or 4 tablespoons
red currant jelly
4 ounces thinly sliced cooked turkey or 4 ounces
thinly sliced smoked ham
- Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Dip both sides of bread slices in egg mixture.
- Melt butter in a large skillet; add bread slices, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Spread 1 tablespoon strawberry jam on 1 side of each bread slice; top evenly with turkey, ham, and cheese.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Broil 5 inches from heat 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar, if desired.
- Serve immediately.