cooked lentils, slightly mashed
( or a 19 oz can, drained)
( quick or large flake)
grated old cheddar cheese
( or spaghetti sauce or BBQ sauce)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix lentils, onion, oats, and cheese in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the beaten egg and mix well.
- Add about 1/2 c of sauce, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Add remaining sauce so long as the mixture will not be too sloppy.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and pour/scrape the lentil mixture into it. Even out the top surface with a spatula or fork.
- Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until top is golden and crispy.
- Let cool at least 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto serving platter and garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Add chopped celery, different sauces, different cheeses (or no cheese!) or try more traditional poultry spices instead of the Italian ones. Serve with all the 'fixins: mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, squash, and salad.