3 1/2 cups
light corn syrup
black food coloring, gel-paste
5 teaspoons peppermint extract or 5 teaspoons cinnamon extract or 5 teaspoons
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with a piece of aluminum foil large enough to overhang the sides by about 2 inches. Set aside.
- Bring sugar, corn syrup and 3/4 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to dissolve sugar, and wash down sides of pan with a pastry brush dipping inwater to prevent crystals from forming.
- Once mixture comes to a boil and all the sugar has dissolved, clip a candy thermometer to pan, and raise heat to high. Continue cooking without stirring until mixture registers 300 Fahrenheit (hard crack stage). Remove from heat.
- Carefully add food coloring, extract and baking soda; stir slowly with a clean wooden spoon until thoroughly combined and mixture no longer bubbles, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan, and let cool completely.
- Lift foil to remove candy from pan, and transfer candy to a large plastic bag. use a kitchen mallet or hammer break candy into pieces.