onion, finely chopped
garlic cloves, minced
frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups
2% low-fat milk
havarti cheese, shredded
gouda cheese, shredded
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add the mushrooms and cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the drained, chopped spinach, salt, and pepper, stir well and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Over medium heat melt 4 tablespoons butter in a saucepan; add the flour and cook, stirring constantly to keep it from browning.
- Gradually add the chicken or vegetable broth and milk; cook, stirring occasionally, until smooth and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- As soon as sauce begins to boil, remove it from the heat and add thyme and basil.
- Combine the shredded cheeses together until well mixed.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Lay 5 noodles in a single layer in the pan. (Four the long way and one broken-off one the short way.).
- Layer with 1/2 each of the mushroom/spinach mixture and shredded cheeses, then coat with 1/2 of the sauce.
- Repeat the process, ending with the sauce.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake at 350F for 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and let sit a few minutes before serving.