1 1/2 cups
parmesan cheese, grated
2 -4 cloves
garlic, mashed or put through a press
( to taste, I prefer 4)
egg, at room temp
excellent artisan sourdough bread
( preferably long, not round)
- This recipe works best with a hand held mixer.
- Beat softened butter, and 1 cup of cheese together with garlic.
- Add the egg and whip until the product is emulsified, adding more cheese if necessary to form a rather fluffy paste.
- Spread half of the mixture on each half loaf of bread (it will seem excessive) and sprinkle on the oregano and remaining cheese.
- Place the halves on a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the upper third of a 350 oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the tops have puffed and are a golden brown.
- Cut into serving sized pieces.
- Excellent all alone, or with cold meats, salads, pasta etc.