( about 1 1/2 cups)
onion, finely chopped
2 cups American cheese or 2 cups
cheddar cheese, cubed
- Preheat oven at 350°F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- For cheese sauce, in a saucepan melt butter. Cook onion in butter till tender but not brown.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once; cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add cubed cheese; stir till melted.
- Stir macaroni into cheese cause. Turn into a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Arrange tomato slices atop macaroni; sprinkle with a little salt. Bake in a 350°F oven 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.