salt & freshly ground black pepper
6 (1/2 lb)
boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded very thin between pieces of plastic wrap
1 1/2 tablespoons
yellow onion, chopped
garlic cloves, minced
1 (15 ounce) cans
dry white wine
2 (6 ounce) packages fresh spinach, cooked drained and chopped or 1 (10 ounce) packages
frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, salt and pepper.
- Toss chicken cutlets in mixture to coat.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil.
- Brown chicken about 5 minute son each side.
- Remove to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the skillet.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, wine and basil.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and add more salt if necessary.
- Spread cooked spinach on top of chicken.
- Pour tomato sauce mixture around chicken, lifting edges to allow the sauce to flow underneath.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 35 minutes.