1 (5 -6 lb)
salt and pepper
light brown sugar
onion, thinly sliced
carrot, thinly sliced
3/4 cup chicken stock or 3/4 cup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon
distilled white vinegar
- Rinse duck under cold water and pat dry inside and out. Remove excess fat from the bird.
- Season bird, inside and out, with salt and pepper and prick skin with a fork several times to allow fat to escape. Place orange quarters in cavity.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and 1 teaspoon salt with 4 tablespoons orange juice.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the sliced onion and carrot into a roasting pan and place duck on a rack on top.
- Roast duck 30 minutes then remove from oven. Pour off fat, prick skin again and baste with the orange juice mixture.
- Continue cooking, basting it and pouring off the fat every 20 minutes until it is well browned and skin is crisp, 1 1/2 hours or until it is done.
- Remove the duck to a platter and cover with foil. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the pan. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring and scraping the drippings from the pan about 2 minutes. Stir in remaining orange juice, chicken stock, vinegar and marmalade.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until well blended and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- To serve, quarter the duck, or carve to your liking. Serve the gravy on the side.