pears, peeled cored and chopped (about 16 large)
cinnamon sticks, (3-inch) broken into pieces
fresh gingerroot, 1 oz
- Combine pears and apple juice in a large Dutch oven.
- Tie broken cinnamon spices, gingerroot, allspice and cloves in a piece of cheese cloth; add to pear mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until pears are tender.
- Drain pears, and discard spice bag.
- Mash pears or process in food processor until smooth.
- Return pear puree to Dutch oven, and add sugar.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat, and quickly pour hot pear mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.