Whole Wheat Pastry Crust
whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/3 cups
1 1/3 cups
very cold water
fresh mushrooms, chopped
unbleached all-purpose flour
cooked chicken, cubed
frozen peas, thawed
- Pastry Crust: Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
- Use pastry cutter to cut in butter.
- Continue using pastry cutter till mixture is crumbly.
- Add cold water and stir till combined in a ball.
- Divide ball into 4 equal smaller balls.
- Roll one of the balls out on a floured surface, fold in half, lift, and place in pie plate.
- Open crust, cut off excess.
- Repeat with second ball of dough and second pie plate.
- Chill 2 remaining balls.
- Filling: Boil potato and carrots until just tender.
- In a large saucepan cook onion and mushrooms in butter till tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, marjoram, thyme, and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in thawed peas, carrots, potatoes, and chicken.
- Cook, stirring, until bubbly.
- Divide mixture between the two prepared pie plates.
- Roll out two remaining balls of dough for top crusts.
- Flute edges of pastry, cutting off excess dough.
- Cut slits for steam to escape.
- Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, until crust is golden brown & crispy.