1 1/2 cups
eggs, lightly beaten
onion, finely chopped
1 cup grated gruyere or 1 cup
lemon, juice of
grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside for later.
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease a 1.5 litre capacity dish.
- Melt butter in a medium sized heavy based saucepan. Sprinkle over flour, whisk and cook for about 1 minute or until the flour has lost its raw smell and smells a bit nutty. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Remove mixture from heat, add onion and quickly beat in the eggs, if using. Season with salt and white pepper and stir though the gruyere or tasty cheese, drained tuna, pasta, parsley, nutmeg and lemon juice.
- Pour into prepared dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and pour over melted butter. Sprinkle with the parmesan. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Note ~ I made ny own breadcrumbs by processing 3 slices day old bread, and then poured the melted butter in the processor for final processing to mix inches.