active dry yeast, 1 pack
( 105 to 115 degrees)
( 110 to 115 degrees)
- In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add sugar, let stand for 5 m inutes.
- Stir in buttermilk, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in yeast mixture and mix well.
- Turn onta floured surface, gently knead for 1 minute.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down, turn onto a lightly floured surface, roll to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with a floured round biscuit cutter about 2 1/2 inches round.
- Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Prick tops with a fork, cover and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 15 - 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.