great northern beans
instant chicken bouillon granules
garlic cloves, separated but unpeeled
onions, peeled & coarsley chopped
carrots, coarsely chopped
chopped fresh parsley
lean ham, cubed
salt & pepper
- Soaked bean adding 1 tsp Baking Soda 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and rinse.
- Place beans, water, chicken broth powder, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf in a a slow cooker.
- Cook on High for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place garlic cloves in foil; roast at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Let cool and set aside.
- Add onions, carrots and celery to bean mixture, Leave on High another hour.
- Add ham cubes.
- Reduce to Low and cook app 4 hours.
- Remove about 1 cup of the soup from the pot and place in a bowl.
- Break the roasted garlic cloves into pieces with your fingers and press out the cooked garlic and stir into the bowl with the soup.
- With hand mixer or blender, carefully puree mixture until still slightly chunky. Stir it back into the pot.
- Let it cook another 1/2 hour to blend the flavours.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in parlsey.
- The taste will surprise you!
- Cooking time does not include the bean soaking time.
- Tip:After reading Charmie's review start with 10 cups of water and add some more if needed.