1 rib eye steaks or 2
New York strip steaks, 1 1/2-inch thick
vegetable oil, to coat
kosher salt & fresh ground pepper
- Remove steak(s) from fridge and start bringing them to room temperature.
- After 30 to 45 minutes, place a 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees F.
- When oven reaches temperature, remove the pan and place it on a burner over high heat.
- Coat steak(s) lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.
- Immediately place steak(s) in the middle of the hot, dry pan. Cook 30 to 60 seconds without moving. Turn the steak(s) with tongs and cook another 30 to 60 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip steak(s) and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. (The time in the oven depends on how rare you like your steaks. The time given is for medium, but depends on number of steaks, etc. as well.)
- Remove the steak(s) from the pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes.
- Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.