light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup unsweetened applesauce or 3 medium
- ****To make applesauce****.
- Wash, quarter, core and pare 3 medium-sized apples.
- Put prepared apples into a sauce pan with 3 Tablespoons of water.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Press cooked apples through a sieve or food mill.
- Cool applesauce before using in cake.
- ------Applesauce Cake------.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom only of an 8x8x2-inch square baking pan.
- Sift together first 6 ingredients; set aside.
- Cream butter until softened.
- Add sugar to butter gradually, creaming until fluffy.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients (in fourths) and applesauce (in thirds) to creamed mixture, mixing until blended after each addition.
- Mix in the raisins.
- Turn batter into prepared pan (batter will be very thick).
- Bake at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester or wooden toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Cool in pan on rack.