garlic clove, minced
fresh thyme, minced
2 1/2 cups
reduced-sodium chicken broth
shredded parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
lemon, juice of
- Cut tips from asparagus, and reserve for garnish. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1 cm pieces.
- In a heavy saucepan cook the onion, garlic, thyme, salt and black pepper (to taste) in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is soft. Add the asparagus and the broth, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the asparagus is very soft.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- In a blender purée the soup in batches until it is very smooth, forcing it after it is puréed through a fine sieve set over the pan, if you prefer a chunkier soup you do not need to sieve. Whisk in the cream, until it is the consistency preferred, and add the lemon juice, parmesan, and more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the asparagus tips.
- You can serve then serve the soup topped with croutons extra cream or parmesan cheese, whichever you prefer.