peppermint extract, I actually use 1 tsp
3 1/2 cups
red food coloring
- Cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Alternately with milk add dry ingredients to creamed butter mixture. 3 dry, 2 milk. Until smooth and pliable.
- Divide in 1/2; blend food coloring into 1/2.
- Cover and chill for 4 hours or firm.
- Cut each into 48 pieces.
- With hands, gently roll one piece of each color into 4 inch rope. Place side by side and twist together.
- Put on cookie sheet, form a cane.
- Bake at 375 F for 12-15 minutes.
- Hints: Gently squish the ropes together and onto the cookie sheet, that way they stay together and don't unravel. Since I make 8 dozen each year, I make 2 batches of dough and add the food coloring to the milk of one dough, that way I don't have to over work the dough trying to get the color evenly mixed inches.