cooked chicken breast
- Take the chicken breast off the roast chicken and put the chicken bones, wings and any other bits in a large microwave dish with the water and thyme. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes.
- While that is cooking, start on the prep of the veg.
- Finely chop the onion and fry in the oil. Add a little salt to help season the veg as they are cooking.
- Cut the celery into strips lengthways and then chop into small cubes. Add to the onion.
- Peel and cube the carrot to about the same size as the celery. Add to the pot.
- Add crushed garlic.
- By this time the stock should be finished - unless you are particularly fast at veg prep!
- Strain the stock over the vegetables.
- Add the pasta shells or whatever pasta you happen to have.
- Slice the chicken breast and pick off any good bits of chicken from the drained bones. Add to the pot.
- Simmer for as long as it takes to cook the pasta – 13 minutes for my pasta shells.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add more water if necessary. I needed to add a little more water after about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini/courgette in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Slice the zucchini lengthways. Cut into triangular pieces. I find cutting the zucchini this way helps keep them in one piece in a soup where they may get overcooked when the soup is reheated.