firm-ripe bananas, sliced diagonally 1/2 inch thick
packed light brown sugar
fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
( no more than 60% cacao if marked)
vanilla ice cream
( or you can use cinnamon ice cream)
chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled
- Melt butter in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium heat, then add bananas in 1 layer and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook bananas, gently turning once and shaking skillet occasionally, until sugar is caramelized, 3-4 minutes.
- Divide bananas among 4 dessert bowls, leaving any remaining caramel in skillet.
- Add cream to skillet and boil over medium heat, stirring, until caramel is dissolved.
- Add chocolate with a pinch of salt and whisk until melted.
- Top bananas with scoops of ice cream, then drizzle with some chocolate sauce, then sprinkle with nuts.
- (There will be extra sauce).