ripe plantains, peeled, sliced 5 long slices each plantain
dark puerto rican rum
whipped cream (optional) or
- In large fry pan, add 1 tblsp oil. Heat oil to medium stage and lay each strip in the pan.(Fry 1 plantain in each batch). When the strips start to turn a golden brown, flip then over and add a little more oil.Fry the other side until golden and brown.
- There will not be much oil left in the pan.
- Sprinkle a little rum over the strips if desired.
- Sprinkle a little nutmeg on one side.
- A dash of salt on the strips.
- Take out the strips and place on a warm plate. Keep warm in a 250° oven.
- Fry the second batch. Follow the steps.
- Fry the third batch. Follow the steps.
- When the frying is completed, take out the plates. Cut the strips in half of the length. Roll up and secure with toothpick.
- Place back on plate.
- Let the strips cool, then take out the toothpicks. The plantains will hold the rolled shape.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving. You can serve warm or cold, but if you serve warm the powdered sugar will soak in and you have have to pass separate powdered sugar, I pass a separate sifter after serving and each person can sift their own sugar on their serving.