4 -5 lbs
corned beef brisket
6 medium yukon gold potatoes, quartered or 9 small
red potatoes, left whole
onions, peeled, keep the stem to hold them together
carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
baby turnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
beets, see included recipe
( optional, serve on their own)
green cabbage, cored and cut into 8 chunks
- Rinse the corned beef with cold water.
- Place the corned beef in a very large pot.
- Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Skim off any surface scum once it reaches a boil.
- Add bay leaves, cover and simmer for two hours.
- Add the potatoes and onions and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots, turnips and parsnips and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, put beets in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil.
- Add a large pinch of salt once boiling.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer, half cover and continue cooking for 35 minutes, then strain.
- When cool, remove the peels and put the beets in a gratin dish with some butter and/or vinegar in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.
- When assembling the dish, do not include the beets with the other veggies. Serve them as are in their own gratin dish.
- Remove the meat from the pot and place on an oven proof platter or roasting pan, cover with tinfoil and place in the oven with the beets.
- Bring the broth and vegetable mixture up to a boil and add the cabbage. Boil for 5 minutes and then turn down to a simmer and cook for at least 3 more minutes, more if you like softer cabbage (I do it for 10 more minutes).
- Slice the meat and serve on a platter, surrounded by the vegetables and some of the stock or pot liqueur .