unsweetened cocoa powder
chocolate, broken into pieces
butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups
1 1/4 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
medium- to full-bodied red wine
( such as cannonau)
2 (8 ounce) containers
mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line 2 muffin pans with muffin cups or coat with nonstick spray.
- In a medium, heatproof bowl, combine cocoa powder with chocolate pieces. Whisk in the boiling water until chocolate is melted and mixture is combined.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and granulated sugar together. Beat in the eggs one at a time, until fully blended. Sift in flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined.
- Alternating, add the chocolate mixture and wine in batches, mixing well between each addition. Repeat this until batter is smooth. Divide mixture among muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
- Lightly beat the mascarpone, then add the confectioners' sugar and beat until creamy. Remove the cooled cupcakes from the pan, spread each with icing, and top with a grape half, if desired.