sweet onion, diced
garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups
2 -4 teaspoons fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons
salt and pepper, to taste
4 -5 slices
bread, cut into cubes
( e.g. italian seasoning)
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half from top to bottom and remove seeds from both halves.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until flesh of squash is fully softened.
- On a low heat, saute onion in butter and oil until soft and browning.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant and soft.
- Remove roasted squash from skin and put into soup pot.
- Add stock and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and add seasoning and herbs.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes and then add sour cream (if using) and blend until smooth using a hand blender or blender.
- While soup is simmering, toss bread cubes with oil and seasoning and toast in oven until golden brown.
- Serve with chopped green onion and/or croutons.