2 lbs beef stew meat, large chunks or 3 lbs
kosher salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons
2 -3 tablespoons
onion, peel and sliced thick in rounds
garlic cloves, peel and smashed
1 (15 ounce) cans
plain diced tomatoes with juice
dry red wine, good enough to drink
dried thyme leaves
whole bay leaves
red onions, peeled, sliced thick
carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch coins
yukon gold potatoes, peels on and cut into chunks
kosher salt, season to taste
fresh ground black pepper, season to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Heat a large Dutch oven, with a lid, over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl or ziplock bag, Add the meat: generously sprinkle with salt and pepper, and lightly coat with the flour.
- Add the oil to the pot, lay the meat in the pan and sear on all sides until a deep mahogany brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a plate. Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of the oil from the pan, add more oil if necessary.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes w/ liquid to the pot, and cook until a deep brick red, about 2 minutes more.
- Add the wine, and with a wooden spoon scrape up any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef broth, thyme, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Return stew meat to the pot, nestle it in the liquid, cover and transfer pot to the oven.
- Cook until the meat is just tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, In a large bowl or zip lock bag: toss the onions, carrots, parsnips, and potatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread out on a oil sprayed baking sheet in 1 layer. You may have to use 2 baking sheets.
- NOTE: Add more root veggies as you like. cut to similar size.
- The veggies can be roasted in a 350° oven for about 45 -60 minutes while stew/roast is cooking.
- Once the meat comes out of the oven, raise the temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Roast the vegetables, turning about halfway through cooking, until caramelized and tender, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- While roasting the root veggies, Keep the stew meat warm in the sauce on the stove top until ready to serve. Place the veggies in the pot before serving. Stir gently to combine.