2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips or 2 cups
chopped white chocolate bark
slivered almonds, toasted to a mid-golden
- Line a 13x9 pan with aluminum foil, leaving about 4 inches overhang over each end for a "handle.".
- Toast the almonds in a skillet or the oven to a fragrant golden brown.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon (I used a whisk once and it worked fine) until mixture darkens to a nutty golden.
- (The process starts slowly, then happens very fast, so when it begins to darken, stir like mad and snatch it off the heat once it's darkened a couple of shades.)
- Pour into foil-lined pan, spreading quickly. Let cool about 10 minutes. Top with chocolate or white chocolate. Let melt a few minutes, then spread evenly. Press toasted almonds into the chocolate. Let cool completely, then break into pieces. (Striking it with the tip of a table knife works well for breaking into useful size pieces.).